6 Jun 2010

SWAP Update

I'm not sure that signing up for all these sewing challenges was necessarily a good idea because:

a) after the epic disaster of the Shirtwaist Dress I've lost nearly all my confidence in my non-existent dressmaking skills (but thankfully none of my drive)

b) I've spent all morning day and all last night trolling through eBay, Etsy and Folksy in an effort to find patterns I like that I can sew

c) I've spent all morning looking at fabric on eBay and come to one conclusion, I have the taste of a 90 year old woman

But! I have decided on some things, which are as follows:

Sewing With A Plan

Trousers Trousers Skirt Skirt
TROUSERS
DENIM
TROUSERS
NAVY & WHT TWILL
SKIRT (A)
BROWN FLORAL POPLIN
SKIRT (B)
Indigo Stretch Denim Navy & White Stripe Twill Cotton Brown & white floral cotton poplin Brown & white mini polka dot cotton
Shirt Styleprint 1421 Butterick 5677 Colour Scheme
SIMPLE SHIRT
BROWN FLORAL POPLIN
SIMPLE SHIRT (B)
WHITE COTTON
DRESS
FLORAL COTTON
White polycotton White polycotton Rambling Rose Cotton
Top Top Jacket
TOP (D)
BROWN CHECK
TOP (A)
STRIPED COTTON
NO CLUE!
White polycotton White polycotton


Assuming I win all the patterns I'm bidding for I should be able to do the above. I've already got the denim and I bought the brown check, blue polycotton (see below) and white polycotton today. I'm going to make the brown check shirt like a cowgirl kind of shirt, with brown piping and I might, if I can make it work, change the design slightly and add a yoke. I can see in my mind how it all fits together but doing it so that it all fits correctly still is a whole different ballgame! I thought I'd shorten the second pair of trousers into pedal pushers.

I've also figured out a few more bits about the Summer Essentials:

Summer EssentialS

Ivory & red stretch cotton
POOL SIDE PRETTIES
DARK BLUE POLYCOTTON
Dark blue polycotton
Ivory & red stretch cotton CLAM DIGGERS & CO
IVORY & RED STRIPE
Ivory & red stretch cotton
Skirt SWEET & SASSY SKIRTS
BLACK COTTON
Black cotton
Simplicity 2111 THE SUNDRESS
RED, WHT & BLUE STRIPE COTTON POPLIN
Red, white & blue cotton poplin
Top TEES, TUNICS & BLOUSES
NO IDEA!


THOSE SUMMER NIGHTS
NO IDEA!


I'm going to attempt to make the playsuit as 'sailory' as possible, again I can see in my head how to do it but actually doing it will be the test. I think I'm going to cheat with most of these and ask my mother to tutor me, I'd hate for another Shirtwaist Dress disaster! You'll notice all the fabrics are a cotton or cotton blend, this is purely because I have not yet learnt what all the other fabrics are like nor how to sew them. I'll get to that once I've learnt a bit more about actually constructing something and having it turn out without a gaping hole down the centre front!

Oh, and whilst wandering eBay (all day!) for fabric I came across the most divine shop full of divine fabric and want to buy pretty much everything but then that would mean my wardrobe would be made of nothing but florals and I don't think that would be such a good look. But do check out the shop, there's bound to be something there you'll like, promise.*

* I wasn't paid to say this, I only ever point the way to shops with things I adore

Thanks for stopping by,

2 comments:

  1. Wow, these are all pitch-perfect for summer! I have a weakness for stripes, your Rubies are going to look great with the stripe and your sundress will be stunning in that fabric. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love stripes too. But I'm a little scared of trying to match them, so we'll have to see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated and your comment will appear shortly. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message, it's very much appreciated.

Popular Posts