13 Sept 2010

Seasons Turning


Despite my best intentions I never seem to talk about life in the village or how living in a village in the mountains of South Wales affects my life.

The seasons here are definitely changing, the trees above the old Pit are turning and the foxgloves glow purple amongst the duller greens and browns. Unfortunately you can't really see them in this photo but I promise, up near the ridge line they're there!

The heather on the other mountain has turned a beautiful burnished copper colour and we've been lucky this year with only one fire on the mountainside that's already grown back over.

With the turning of seasons into Autumn the winds start to pick up in readiness for the October storms that have probably been hitting our shores for centuries. My house stands overlooking a park and a dip in our valley that leads down into Caerphilly's bowl. As a result, come Autumn, I spend most nights drifting off to the sound of driving wind and rain, strangely I find it relaxing.

Despite fabulous weather this weekend (for this time of year anyway) the winds picked up today and I decided to let go of my vintage dreams and just embrace clothes ... erm, okay, that came out a little wrong! You may have noticed I get a little obsessive/ compulsive in some instances, and I will singlemindedly follow an idea until I've trampled it to death. In my quest to obtain a wardrobe that fits, in styles I like rather than full of modern fashions, I've lost touch with the idea that anything I like is okay to wear, vintage styled or not.

Given today's weather I decided to experiment, a rather delightful 20 minutes at around 7.15am this morning. The one part of my body that I can't deny is fabulous are my legs. I have great legs, I just don't like getting them out. Particularly from this time of year onwards because it's generally too cold. Hah! Fixed that problem!



Latest eBay purchase: asphalt grey over the knee ribbed socks. Normally I wouldn't try to wear these so visibly as socks, I might not look it but I feel that at my age I'd be pushing my comfort zone by dressing in a style for someone younger, and I'd wear them with a long skirt or dress so they appear to be tights. But I found a pair of blue and a pair of purple tights I'd bought earlier in the year on an impulse to embrace colour and decided to be a little daring. And I have to admit that I really really liked it.

It's been noted that an empire waistline suits me far better than a fitted dress. I had an old little black dress with an almost Grecian-style crossed bodice that could pass as a pinafore dress when paired with a blue and white striped collarless shirt. A red scarf to add a little vibrancy and I was ready to go ... once the Evil Wolf had had his morning belly rub.


Thanks for stopping by,

0 comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated and your comment will appear shortly. Thank you for taking the time to leave me a message, it's very much appreciated.

Popular Posts